Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Remembering

My grandfather passed away exactly 3 years ago today. I still miss him like I did 3 years ago. I think about him all the time and actually dream about him often. It's like he is visiting me in my dreams. Before I knew I was having a boy, I dreamed my grandfather was with me while I was holding Price, wrapped in a blue blanket. It's almost like he talks to me sometimes. I know that sounds strange but I love it because it makes me feel like I am still close to him. I noticed over Christmas that Price has one big trait of my grandfather. He is meticulous about certain things, like getting every piece of wrapping paper off the presents before playing with them. My grandfather was the most meticulous man I now. He was careful with everything and made sure to dot every i and cross every t. He tried to make sure I was more careful like him but unfortunatly that trait doesn't run in my veins. Thank Heavens Price is like him. When Josh and I fight about money (the #1 and only thing we usually fight over) Josh always tells me about how when Josh went to ask my grandfather for my hand in marriage, my grandfather told him to take care of me and NOT to trust me with the money!! I always joke with Josh and tell him that meant he knew what he was getting into ahead of time so why complain about it now! :)
I wish Price could have met his great grandfather but I know that he is always with us and I know that he would be so proud of Price. :)

6 comments:

rita and andy said...

Ashley,
I know exactly what you mean. I think about my Dad and the fact that my kids will never meet him either. However, you have to always remember to tell Price about him and the wonderful man he was. As he gets older, let him know when he does or says things that remind you of your grandfather. That way the legacy lives on...

Angie said...

You should have a Disclaimer against pregnant women reading stuff like this! Isn't it so sweet when he visits you in your dreams. My Papa does that and I love it. That's such a blessing b/c not everyone gets to experience it. I can't wait to see what other traits Price takes after his great-granddad.

Ashley W. said...

Ditto on Angies comment! You should have warned us. What a sweet post. I am sure as Price becomes older you will see even more traits of your grandfathers in him!

Rachel said...

I remember your grandfather picking you up from school. He was a sweet man, and I think that is so funny what he told Josh!

Cate, Hank, Brady & Owen said...

I don't have any pregnancy hormones and I am tearing up too! I'm sorry your grandfather is no longer here with you, but I'm glad your memories of him are so vivid. I know Price will enjoy hearing the stories...

amyop said...

That is so sweet! I am so glad you used the name Price after him aren't you? Price will soon know his great grandad as soon as he gets a little older. You have so many great stories and memeories to share with him! Miss you !