Sunday, September 14, 2008

Terrible Two's? That's an Understatement!

Well, I thought the best of the terrible two's were already behind us but last Sunday I changed my mind! It was our AWANAS kickoff at church and I was so excited that Price was going to get to be in Puggles, a milestone since it's his first extracuricular church activity..... I was going to help teach in his classroom and get to see him with his friends and help teach him more about Jesus and see him get excited about the Lord....and he was going to be the cutest, smartest, most well-behaved child in his class....I just knew it!!
REALITY CHECK: Price is the most stubborn, hard-headed, strong willed child I know! (He must get that from Josh....)
What was I thinking??? He's TWO!! (But, in the defense of most 2 year olds.....All the other children seemed to be handling the situation much better then Sweet Price!)
He wanted to play with what everyone else was playing with......not much of a sharer....
He screamed when he couldn't color as long as he wanted to... paint as long as he wanted to....
He screamed when I wouldn't let him drink the paint water and when I tried to get him to put it down before he spilled it....TOO LATE....It spilt...and ruined Mary Grace's beautiful painting....
He screamed when I wouldn't let him put the paint on his eye lid (he thought it was eye shadow...I should probably turn on the cartoons while I am putting on makeup from now on...)
He screamed because he didn't want to sit in a circle and read....or sing Jesus songs......
He screamed non-stop for almost the entire 2 hours. I wanted to cry!! My Sweet Price doesn't act like that! At home he would have been sent to his room (after a little spank, spank!)until he was finished with his screaming episode, but what to do at church??
I was mortified! What happened to my sweet baby boy?
I had my camera to take a picture of Price on his first day of AWANAS but then decided I'd rather not have any memory of that exhausting day....so no pictures to share!

Then today at church, another breakdown.....It's a lose/lose situation. Josh pulls up to drop us off at the door and he screams because he can't take his Thomas the Train toothbrush inside. Then he wants to stay with "dada". Great! I shut the door! "MAMA! MAMA! GO WITH YOU!" Open the door, go to take him out...."NO, DADA! GO WITH DADA!", as he hits my hand that is trying to unbuckle him. (This went on several times) Cars are waiting behind us to drop off their children. I get him out and figure he will forget this nonsense and will be excited to go to his classroom....Not so much! Drops to the floor at the top of the stairs, kicks and screams!
The entire Children's area gets completely quite as they look up to see who is allowing their child to have such a tantrum! (THE EMBARRASSMENT!! )
Ashley L. to the rescue! She calmed him down and took him to his classroom...No Problems!
I make it to Sunday School in tears because of my 2 year old!
He only acts like this with ME! He wouldn't dare do that with his dad! WOULDN'T DARE!
His Sunday School teacher says he's great on Sunday Mornings! Tonight at Puggles I wasn't there (After last week,I decided to teach 4th Grade Girls instead) and he did great!
HMMMMMmmmmmm.......What to do???
Prozac? No! Don't want to get addicted!
Abuse? No! Don't want to get arrested!
Boarding School? No! Too expensive! (and I might miss him a little....)
I'm at a loss!! HELP!!

12 comments:

amyop said...

Awww.... I am so sorry for your day but I have to say I am sure there are plenty of moms who can relate! I am sure when the two hit us I will be scrambiling to find this post to look back at and say "Okay I'm not alone:)"

Peekaboos and Baby Coo's said...

Sounds so familiar at my house. Sallie is having a tough time at school and is being put in timeout a lot. It all happened overnight but we just have to remmeber that this is just a phase and it shall pass. They are only 2 and are trying to discover their boundaries!! I do know how frustrating it is at the time and it is always so much worse when Mamas are around. hang in there!!!

Ashley said...

You are not alone, Ashley. I am going through the same behavior issues with Thomas and Elizabeth. I keep thinking it is their age, and if we stick it out and somehow figure out how best to handle the behaviors they will pass.....right? You are a wonderful mama. Don't forget that.

Rhetta said...

Keep your ground, stay strong, say your prayers, and drink wine at 9! :-)

DeAnn Tiller said...

Ashley,
I totally understand what you are going through. Weatherly is this way with me, too. I feel like I have to discipline her ALL the time. I think it's a combination of being two years old and having a new little sister to share attention with. I am constantly reminding myself that she is only two. I've heard that the threes are worse for some children, but I can't imagine her getting much worse than she is now. Of course, she is the sweetest child sometimes too. We'll get through it!
Hang in there!
DeAnn

Angie said...

You take the Prozac and give him Tylenol, and lots of it! And don't worry about the addiction...when they're in college, we'll all join AA or something like that (and then go have drinks afterward, HA!)

Rhetta said...

FROM UNCLE ED: WITH YOUR LEFT HAND, FIRMLY GRASP HIS LEFT UPPER ARM UNDER THE ARM PIT. WITH ONE MOTION, LEFT WITH YOUR LEFT HAND, DROP YOUR HIPS, SWING YOUR RIGHT HAND AS IF YOU WERE BOWLING. MAKE CONTACT WITH DIAPER AND OPEN PALM AND MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THROUGH ENOUGH TO LIFT HIS FEET SLIGHTLY OFF THE FLOOR. RINSE AND REPEAT AS NECESSARY!

Amanda said...

What is it about children misbehaving with mommies? I feel Austin tries me more than he does Ty and it can be so frustrating! Take notes...lots of notes for us! :)
You are a great Mommy!

lindler5 said...

i think it is because we are with them all day long & tolerate more than the daddies. or at least that is the case with our family. kevin comes home from a long day at work & is not about to deal with the tantrums & whines. he can nip it in the bud QUICKLY. they test the boundaries much more with me than with kevin. and it can make me want to pull out my hair!!

Michelle said...

Girl...join the club! I think the 2s were just the beginning of the inner battle of the dos and don'ts for Rivers. It was an exhausting year, and 3 weeks into being 3, it's not looking much better! Mama...Dada. In...out. Up...down. The list goes on and on! They're trying to figure out what they want to do...and it's the complete opposite of what you want them to! You're not alone! I'm blessed...but going crazy!

Rachel said...

I think you have Emery Junior living at your house! She is exactly the same about things when I am with her and does not try as much when she is with Dean. I think it is their age and I hope it does not last too long!!

Cate, Hank, Brady & Owen said...

Don't worry. I'm sure Price will one day have a stubborn little kid of his own with lots of attitude, and you can just sit back and laugh and laugh!